Sunday, January 15, 2012

Tim Tebow, Joel Osteen and colliding Christian principles

I was once very involved in the Christian faith. Having been born into families of practicing Baptists and Methodists, Christianity was as much a part of my life, and the lives of almost all those I knew, as air. In other words, church was part of daily existence that was not questioned. Habits were handed down. Church was our way.

Today, I am far removed from the region of my childhood and those early church routines. I cannot call myself a good Christian. Maybe I never could. I have not raised my sons in the habits of the church.  Few people with whom I associate adhere to the Christian faith as demonstrated for me as a child.

Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow has caused discussion regarding Christianity to move into the forefront of millions of lives. People who might never have given religion a thought cannot now escape its display. Love it or hate it, Tim Tebow has shown the world what a good Christian is supposed to look like.

My early affiliation with Christianity might play a role in my opinions regarding Tim Tebow. I would admire him anyway for his backbone. I would admire him anyway for his willingness to take abuse from the press. I would applaud him anyway for commitment to personal principles in places personal principles are known to be scant. I admire him and applaud him more, perhaps, because he sets the example Jesus, as Jesus is presented in Christian doctrine, would surely approve.

My favorite public Christian is Joel Osteen, leader of Joel Osteen Ministries, a mega-church in Houston. He is a superstar among Christian ministers and a terrific speaker. I find his sermons compelling and refreshing. Not since I watched Billy Graham on television as a child have I felt such deep admiration for a Christian speaker.

Joel Osteen has been careful to avoid hot topics that divide people, particularly homosexuality. While, admittedly, he could be riding that fence for business reasons, I happen to believe he avoids the subject of same-gender relationships and marriages because he knows this topic is among those that have driven people in droves from Christianity. His success depends on bringing people to the faith rather than alienating.

Oprah Winfrey will have none of the fence-riding. Recently on her show, she pressed guest Joel Osteen regarding his views exactly on homosexuality. In a flourish of obvious reluctance, Joel Osteen did not refute what he claims is presented in the Bible. Joel Osteen said homosexuality is a sin. His furious back-peddling that ensued could not un-ring that bell.

I should not be surprised by Joel Osteen’s declaration when backed into a corner on public television by Oprah Winfrey. His declaration, however, stings. Watching him, my childhood religion bled from me hemorrhagic fashion. I grieve the loss.

Tim Tebow, in all his righteousness, has done more to polish the public image of Christianity than all who might have tried the past half century. But, at the end of the day, Tim Tebow, Joel Osteen and countless others flying the banner of  Christianity must agree that the faith upholds a doctrine of exclusion, and I find that a sorrowful shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home